Re: VDR and Hybrid DVB Cards ( was "HVR 4000 drivers broken - adapter0/frontend1 busy" in linux-media list )

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Steffen Barszus
<steffenbpunkt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2011/11/16 Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Klaus Schmidinger
>> <Klaus.Schmidinger@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> That is also my understanding of multi frontend devices.
>>> If an "adapter" has several "frontends" only one of them can
>>> be active at any given time. This has nothing to do with
>>> any "explosives" (excuse the pun ;-) and will be implemented
>>> in the core VDR code as time permits. Right now I'm cleaning up
>>> the "lnb sharing" (aka "device bonding") stuff and will hopefully
>>> find more time for VDR development by the end of the year (and
>>> thereafter).
>>
>> If I am following you correctly,
>> There is one issue however. If an adapter can have only a single
>> frontend, then there will exist another issue:
>>
>> - Card has dual multi standard frontend(s).
>> - Card has CI cards on both the paths (2 CI controllers)
>> - Card provides scrambled stream as well as descrambled stream (4
>> simultaneous streams)
>> - Card needs to swap between the CI modules to take advantage of the
>> different modules, rather than reconnecting antenna inputs/manually
>> swapping the CI modules.
>>
>> Eventually, to handle such a situation: all the nodes exposed to the
>> application has to be under the "same" adapter, rather than as 4
>> different adapters, of which 2 of them won't have any frontend or ca
>> devices.
>
> To my understanding the mentioned use case would have - according to
> linux-media project logic of how to handle this - would look like
>
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend1
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/ca0
> /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0
> /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend1
> /dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0
> /dev/dvb/adapter1/ca0
>
> so it would be 2 adapter with 4 frontends. If for some reason they
> should be in one adapter how to distinguish between the different
> cases ? Maybe i did not understand properly the issue.

The very same driver can have 4 real frontends too. By now the issue
got complicated too far by the logic mentioned above: So, how will you
distinguish between real functional and independant adapters, then
(when having multiple adapters) ?

Manu