Re: Developer versions

On 13/01/11 18:57, VDR User wrote:
I agree, the less layer upon layer upon layer, the better.  I also
want to point out that there are a large number of users who have
dedicated VDR boxes connected directly to tv's in an htpc environment,
using only a remote control to navigate the menus and ssh for box
maintenance.  Not computer monitors, using VDR in a window in a
desktop environment.  The second you've required the user to have a
full blown desktop, you've entered the realm of poor design.  The
ideal situation would be to have minimal requirements/dependencies and
no bloat.

Client-server doesn't require a desktop environment. You can just as
easily arrange for the player client to start automatically and have VDR
handle the remote control. My preference for being able to turn the
player off goes back a long way though, to when VDR didn't have good
support for playing other video files. There are a lot of people who
also use XBMC etc.

Additionally, an OSD that takes advantage of vdpau as well so you not
only get full HDTV, but also a full high resolution/high color OSD
with low hardware requirements & cost to the user to go along with it.
 I know the OSD has been a point of debate but the truth is people do
spend a lot of time in the OSD and because of that, there's no reason
that can't be an enjoyable user experience.  Chalking it up as mere
"eye candy" completely disregards that fact.  It's no different to the
reason why people put nice stereos in their car... to have a better
experience while using it.  Given the choice between a nice Benz or a
base model Kia...how many people would actually choose the Kia?  Not
many, so lets not pretend otherwise.

AIUI VDR generates the OSD as a bitmap no matter which output plugin is
used and the player only has the choice of how to overlay it on the
video. So getting it rendered by VDPAU would be easy enough, but to
upgrade it to HD would probably need some rewriting/patching in core
VDR, not just a plugin. I think the ability to antialias the text would
be the biggest improvement, it often looks jagged.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk