Re: Developer versions

<torgeir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> You can always try softdevice, which is mostly a playback interface
> >> using ffmpeg.
> >
> > Isn't softdevice abandoned?
>
> It hasn't seen any new features added for a while, but should still
> work as a software only playback device.

Unfortunately, it does seem to have been abandoned. I'm still using it
with vdr 1.7.0 (I've never managed to get it to work with any more recent
versions, probably because it doesn't like the change to TS).

I'm reading this (and similar threads) with interest: no HD in my area yet
but it is meant to be coming this year. All of the current HD options seem
to be a bit hit and miss so I've not really had a go at that yet.

Softdevice uses libavcodec to decode and then a number of different
methods to output the decoded frames. I'm using it with a Matrox card for
output and this works really well. It's a nice, lightweight solution that
doesn't depend on having an X server running but doesn't support a client-
server setup.

> > At any rate vdpau support is a requirement so anything
> >
> > that doesn't have it can automatically be ruled out.  I do agree that
> > it would be nice to have an ffmpeg-based vdr plugin but at present
> > the only vdpau capable option I'm aware of depends on libxine.
>
> I guess that what you'd really want would be a pure VDPAU playback
> device, not necessarily using ffmpeg.

What would be nice is if the decoding functions in ffmpeg / libavcodec
supported vdpau. I don't know whether that is even possible or whether it
is only possible to decode "directly to HDMI", for example, and not just
decode and then use something else to output the decoded frames.

Maybe this is now possible: I've not looked at ffmpeg for a while,
although my experiences of ffmpeg is that there are huge interface changes
between releases that break things!

Cheers,

Laz