Re: Advice on new motherboard, xineliboutput, vdpau, hdmi video & audio, etc.

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Paul Menzel
<paulepanter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Just wondering why you even care about this...  The Nvidia drivers
>> work well for me and honestly that's all I care about.
>
> Good for you. As I wrote I do not want to start a flame war. But you
> asked. ;-)
>
> Everyone should decide for himself what he wants. I am on the side of
> Free Software and believe that it has more advantages than just »it
> works«.
>
> For example I believe supporting hardware requiring non-free software
> puts more work to the distributions and people working on those because
> they have to answer a lot of support request when people contact them
> and not Nvidia and they cannot fix problems because they do not have
> access to the code. Secondly I guess you will find a lot of requests for
> fixes the Nvidia driver which have not been accomplished.
>
> I think you will find a lot of information about this whole issue on the
> Internet and others can lay down the points better than I can. But as I
> said, it is just an axiom, so you cannot argue what is right or wrong.

I just wondered what your reasoning is, nothing more.  There's
absolutely no reason you should assume it's attempt to "start a flame
war" or "argue".  There is no crime in people having different points
of view.  I've now lost interest in this thread but thanks for sharing
your opinion.  Good luck in your qwest.

Cheers,
Derek