vdr: [2795] ERROR: remote control XineRemote not ready!

I wonder if somebody who understands fully the interaction between lirc, xine and vdr can help me debug my setup.
The PC has no keyboard or mouse connected and it is operated exclusively via the remote control for most of the part and ssh for the rest

I have only one irritating bug, I use oxine as a front end (then calling shells as appropiate) and it I do not press any key on the remote for approximately 5 minutes while on this screen, the remote ceases to operate until I reboot
(once this happens if I run irw I can see output as usual) I wonder if it is because my setup, although working perhaps it is kind of not optimal.

My remote is the type that uses input events (comes with the hauppagge sat card)  using dev/input in lirc

dmesg |grep input6
input: cx88 IR (Hauppauge WinTV-HVR400 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.0/0000:01:06.2/rc/rc0/input6

In xine itself I was not able to map the special vdr commands (I tried but would not recognise most buttons)  so I am not using that feature.

My remote.conf

#LIRC.Up         ArrowUp
#LIRC.Down       ArrowDown
#LIRC.Left       ArrowLeft
#LIRC.Right      ArrowRight
#LIRC.Ok         Enter
#LIRC.Pause      Pause
LIRC.Stop       Stop
LIRC.Record     Record
LIRC.Play       Play
LIRC.0          0
LIRC.1          1
LIRC.2          2

I commented out the Arrow buttons because otherwise I was getting duplicate responses (for example I would press once the down button and it would go down twice, not one)

I call vdr from a script with vdr -c /etc/vdr -E /var/epgvdr --lirc --no-kbd -l 1 -P'xine -r'

I have the powerbutton mapped to kill xine (so the script continues and returns to the oxine menu once xine is not running anymore and this works fine)
begin
        button = Power
        prog   = irexec
        repeat = 0