Re: Request for rotor integration to vdr

On 6/24/2010 1:37 AM, Luca Olivetti wrote:
It's a really simple out of tree module, you don't need to hack the
kernel, just to compile the module and insmod it.
It hasn't caused me any problem in the many years I have used it.
BTW, the module uses a parallel port, and since these are becoming
difficult to find, I wrote another, unreleased, one that uses a serial
port (even an usb to serial adapter should work).
Of course I'm not (still) using it in production, so it's not as tested
as the one using the parallel port.

I looked on mine and while it doesn't have a port on the back, it does have a header on the board. If intel had their way, there'd be not floppy, parallel or serial ports on any new board :(. With a serial port, the data stream could be brought out to parallel giving you 8 pins.

Well, yes, but I'm cheap and I preferred to spend 5€ in components
tucked inside the computer instead of buying a 100€ v-box, have another
box laying around and having less control over the whole positioning
process.

I'm cheap too, that's why I'm thinking about home made rotors moving cone antennas made of foam covered with foil and maybe fiberglass. Light so a faster rotor could be made, and 2-3 of those should be cheaper then an array of dishes, lnb's and switches. Plus cone antennas they say don't have the rain fade problem. Only problem I might run into is I want to do C-band also and while for Ku the cones end up being smaller then a dish, I'm hearing that to make it work on in c-band, the length is measured in yards instead of inches. We'll see.