Re: implementing channel plug-in

On 04.01.2010 16:09, Theunis Potgieter wrote:
> 2010/1/4 Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@xxxxxxx>:
>> On 04.01.2010 14:37, Theunis Potgieter wrote:
>>> I was in search for a plug-in that could map alternative long names to
>>> the supposedly current long name of a channel. I guess I didn't search
>>> hard and long enough, but could not find one that would implement this
>>> behaviour. The idea is, that when ever a channel list is called, it
>>> will provide the alternative long name, but saves the original long
>>> name in channels.conf.
>>>
>>> So I thought of implementing one my self. After reading the
>>> PLUGINS.html from VDR-1.7.10, I thought it would be possible. I didn't
>>> see any spoon feeding when it came to channels in the documentation,
>>> so I thought I will have a look at channels.h and there seems to be a
>>> member function called Name() in the tChannelID class. Would it be
>>> wise then to copy the tChannelID class and replace the member function
>>> Name()?
>> tChannelID has no member function named Name().
>> Maybe you mean the cChannel class?
>> I guess if you change the implementation of cChannel::Name(), then you
>> could do what you want.
>
> Thanks for that. I must have scrolled back up and saw the wrong class,
> I meant cChannel:Name().
>
>>> Which global pointer will I have to deleted and assign to the new object?
>> I don't understand this question.
>> There is no "new object".
>> You will have to patch the VDR source to implement this.
>
> The idea is that the plug-in would delete the current instance of
> cChannel and instantiate a new cChannel instance in the place there
> of. This without having to patch vdr to implement this feature. There
> for the question about the (e.g. global) pointer that is pointing to
> the original instance of cChannel. Is there a member function in the
> plug-in class that can be called from VDR's main and hand over such a
> pointer?

There is an object of cChannel for each channel, and they are stored in
a list. You can either patch VDR to modify cChannel::Name() so that it
takes the original name as an index into some database of yours, or
modify the names in your channels.conf and set "Setup/DVB/Update channels"
to "PIDs only".

Just curious: what's wrong with the original names?

Klaus