Re: implementing channel plug-in

2010/1/4 Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@xxxxxxx>:
> On 04.01.2010 14:37, Theunis Potgieter wrote:
>> I was in search for a plug-in that could map alternative long names to
>> the supposedly current long name of a channel. I guess I didn't search
>> hard and long enough, but could not find one that would implement this
>> behaviour. The idea is, that when ever a channel list is called, it
>> will provide the alternative long name, but saves the original long
>> name in channels.conf.
>>
>> So I thought of implementing one my self. After reading the
>> PLUGINS.html from VDR-1.7.10, I thought it would be possible. I didn't
>> see any spoon feeding when it came to channels in the documentation,
>> so I thought I will have a look at channels.h and there seems to be a
>> member function called Name() in the tChannelID class. Would it be
>> wise then to copy the tChannelID class and replace the member function
>> Name()?
>
> tChannelID has no member function named Name().
> Maybe you mean the cChannel class?
> I guess if you change the implementation of cChannel::Name(), then you
> could do what you want.

Thanks for that. I must have scrolled back up and saw the wrong class,
I meant cChannel:Name().

>> Which global pointer will I have to deleted and assign to the new object?
>
> I don't understand this question.
> There is no "new object".
> You will have to patch the VDR source to implement this.

The idea is that the plug-in would delete the current instance of
cChannel and instantiate a new cChannel instance in the place there
of. This without having to patch vdr to implement this feature. There
for the question about the (e.g. global) pointer that is pointing to
the original instance of cChannel. Is there a member function in the
plug-in class that can be called from VDR's main and hand over such a
pointer?