Re: Odd filesystem errors

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:20:56 +0100
From: Peter Evertz <leo2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Odd filesystem errors

Klaus Schmidinger schrieb:
> On 07.11.2009 02:07, HighlyCaffeinated wrote:

>> I've got an unusual situation with my VDR installation
...<snip>...
>> bothersome.

That is "normal" situation on a samba share that has (windows) "illegal"
characters in it's name.
eg: "CSI: Next Session" is illegal because of the ":" and will be
translated to something like you have seen on the windows box.

Peter

> Can you check the syslog file to see what names VDR used to create
> the recording directories?
>
> Klaus

Peter:
I am not too concerned with the existence of a tilde in the filename. If the filename had been created per your example, I would have expected Windows to display it as "CSI_Ne~1".  A recent directory shows in Linux as NCIS:_Los_Angeles as it should. My concern is that I cannot see (and therefore manipulate or delete) these directories in Linux. Linux will not show the directory names or inodes. Windows does, but the names are illegal and so won't operate on them.

Klaus:
I will keep an eye out for the creation of any more such directories but cron took care of the syslog files long before I noticed that the directories were there.

Anyone: Any clue how to delete the directories besides formatting the partition?

Thanks for your help!
-Todd