Re: Streaming recordings

Hi,

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:49:06 +0100, scott wrote
> Hi, I was thinking of hacking in some more support to streamdev to support
> playback of recordings. Early days though. VTP seems easiest to get some
> playback with the PORT and PROV commands, although SVDRP has some support
> with the LSTR. Dont want to step on anyones toes, but any
> thoughts/suggestions?

There already is some work in progress as part of the VDR integration with
XBMC (http://www.xbmc.org/trac/ticket/5595). Their streamdev patch adds a lot
of VTP commands, including playback using some code taken from VOMP. Note that
the patch is only for streamdev-server, the client is XBMC.

If VTP based playback with streamdev-client is what you have in mind, I'm not
convinced. For a full-fledged client side replay there's a lot to do:
implement fast motion / trick speed and setting / moving marks to name just a
few. And the server recordings will show up in a separate Recordings menu
(i.e. streamdev-clients menu),  or you will need to patch/replace the original
VDR menu. Now compare all this to simply mounting a network share with the
server side recordings...

However what makes perfect sense is adding playback support to streamdev HTTP.
If playback works over VTP it should be easy to get it via HTTP, too.

Cheers,
Frank