Re: [Fwd: Re: let vdr ignore non vdr directories ?]

On Mittwoch, 15. April 2009, Steffen Barszus wrote:
> Matthias Schwarzott schrieb:
> > On Montag, 13. April 2009, Steffen Barszus wrote:
> >> Hi all!
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> >> is there any way to let vdr ignore any directories which do not belong
> >> to it ?
> >>
> >> What i have seen is that vdr is recursive checking all directories even
> >> on second and third video directory.
> >>
> >> If the logic is that all needs to be in video.0 directory and its
> >> subdirectories and symlinks will be required to let vdr find the
> >> recordings, it should not check the other video directories.
> >
> > [deleted some text that did not made sense to me]
>
> i did a mount --bind /proc proc/ in video.01 resulting  in vdr searching
> the proc filesystem resulting in plenty of error messages to the log (no
> permission etc) which filled up the log, which in turn filled up my root
> filesystem with within 15 min or so.
>
> I have a directory containing a chroot env. not readable by vdr - except
> i forgot to unmount the proc in time.
>
> >> Think there might be others as well that are using the big disks for
> >> other space consuming things - nobody else run into this ?
> >
> > I don't understand why people do put other stuff into vdr video
> > directories? If I want to have video directory and a directory containing
> > iso images why not do
> >
> > mkdir video
> > mkdir iso
> > and put the stuff there?
>
> That doesn't help.
> /dev/hda1             3,4G  1,4G  1,8G  44% / (microdrive which is
> containing video.00, with symlinks, index etc)
> /dev/sdb1             932G  929G  3,3G 100% /var/lib/video.01
> /dev/sda1             932G  600G  333G  65% /var/lib/video.02
>
> bindmount only works properly in newer kernels. Still on 2.6.24. If you
> have an idea of how to use the big harddisks for something else without
> preallocating space for other tasks (i.e. partitioning), i would be
> happy to hear. I'm pretty aware that this might not be good idea to do
> things like i did. On the other hand i think what vdr does is a bad idea
> and unnecessary. period.

I thought bind mount does work on even older kernels, still shouldn't a
symlink work too?

So I did setup lvm on my harddisks and made my video partition a
logical-volume that can span as many harddisk as I let join the volume group.
Still some time ago I had a setup using vdr's own support for multiple disks
as you use it.

So I suggest you mount your disks somewhere else
(like /mnt/large1 /mnt/large2) and then do bind mounts or symlinks
from /var/lib

# mount /dev/disk1 /mnt/large1
# mount /dev/disk2 /mnt/large2

# mkdir /mnt/large1/video
# mkdir /mnt/large1/video

# mount --bind /mnt/large1/video /var/lib/video.01
# mount --bind /mnt/large2/video /var/lib/video.02

Regards
Matthias