Re: reel netclient

That might be, but one of the reasons that I run VDR is the ability to tweak the capabilities and the user experience. So changing the client is just as interesting as implementing a suitable backend.

2009/4/14 Matthias Müller <keef@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi,

Torgeir Veimo schrieb:
> If the netclient hardware runs GPL software I assume that in theory
> someone could implement a streamdev client that facilitated the hw
> mepg2/4 decoder?

If you look at the specs and the description Georg provided, a
streamdev-client isn't needed, only a proper streamdev-server, that
relays the transport stream from the transponder to the network and
implements a feedback-channel to provide infos like supported demuxes
and so on.

> [...]
>
>     The client and the also available standalone NetCeiver should
>     bring it more
>     to the "masses" as the price will be comparable to typical HDTV
>     receivers.
>
>     > Does it just use a fixed multicast-address to receive the stream
>     and if
>     > yes, how is the communication to the tuner realized? Is this
>     something
>     > reel-specific or could this be used to start a unified
>     streaming-concept
>     > for vdr based on standards (and using IPv6 to avoid all that
>     ugly IPv4
>     > stuff...)
>
>     It is a proprietory protocol in the sense as it is no standard.
>     When there
>     are so many IPTV standards to choose from, why make not a new one?
>     ;-) At
>     the time we started, DVB-IPTV was not even named and still I think
>     it is so
>     bloated that it cannot be efficiently used to use cheap hardware as a
>     server.
>
>     However, our protocol uses standard protocols like MLDv2 just with a
>     different interpretation to make it light-weight and use hardware
>     supported
>     streaming. In the end, one NetCeiver can stream up to 6 full
>     S2-transponders
>     (~40MByte/s), only the zapping time increases a bit... Do that
>     with a PC :p
>
>     The protocol translates (almost) all DVB specifics to ethernet, so
>     it was no
>     problem to wrap it back to DVB-API. The multicast address is not
>     static but
>     contains all relevant reception parameters. The basic
>     communication only
>     exchanges a few MLDv2-messages (no XML), so it can be processed
>     very fast
>     and also gains from MLDv2-aware switches. Only tuner capabilities
>     and tuning
>     states (SNR, lock, ...) are transmitted regularly in a side band
>     via XML on
>     a specific multicast address. That also allows zero configuration
>     for the
>     client. We will write a "white paper" about the protocol,
>     currently we just
>     don't have enough time...
>
>     For the client side, the sources will be published as GPL.
>     Currently we use
>     a closed source daemon with a dvb loopback driver in the kernel,
>     but that
>     makes it hard to fully use the tuner virtualization and costs some
>     overhead
>     for small CPUs. Since we already have a native vdr plugin for
>     that, the
>     network code will be then forced to be GPL anyway ;-)
>
>     --
>             Georg Acher, acher@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:acher@xxxxxxxxx>
>             http://www.lrr.in.tum.de/~acher
>     <http://www.lrr.in.tum.de/%7Eacher>
>             "Oh no, not again !" The bowl of petunias

-Tor