Re: Options for deinterlacing (or not)

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 04:03:37PM +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:
> It is excellent, but I can't help thinking it's come a bit too late.

not if it comes to HDTV. Basically it should be feasible to recycle some
of the ideas there.

BTW I wanted to prove that simple graphics hardware together with low
end processors are capable to provide the same picture quality as do
those cumbersome FF cards. But at much lower cost besides many other
advantages. Unfortunately nobody cared about developing alternatives to FF
cards the past years.

> advantage of phosphor decay. In theory a decoder such as VDPAU can
> deinterlace better than the TV because it has access to extra info such
> as motion vectors in the MPEG.

you certainly are right with this but VDPAU is no open source.
Maybe some day FrameRateControl will allow for a pure open source HDTV
solution. Running with adequate picture quality on moderately powered
CPUs.

- Thomas