Re: 1080p ready VDR

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 11:54:59PM +0100, Sascha Vogt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Artem Makhutov schrieb:
> > Take a look at: http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/HDTV
> I did that, but there it said a Athlon64 at 2 GHz is sufficient. But I
> think your example shows, that this isn't...
>
> > You can also use a Nvidia Video card with VDPAU, which will do the
> > decoding in hardware. Then then CPU-Load will be less then 10%, but
> > this is currenly in development and does not work reliably right now.
> > Using VDPAU you will be able to watch HDTV with a Atholon X2 4850e
> > CPU.
> As there are hardly any HD programs atm I think I'll go that way. I feel
> much more comfortable with a NVIDIA anyway (all my other PCs have one
> too). Hopefully that VDPAU will get stable soon (Soon as in till 2010).
> Point is the 4850e has a TDP of 45 Watts which is much more easier too
> cool than those "bigger" CPUs.
>
> > There are also Mainboards with onboard Nvidia 9300 or 9400 GPU's.
> > They also support VDPAU.
> Hmm, sounds good. I'll search for some of them.
>
> > To receive Arte HD you need a DVB-S2 card, like the TechnoTrend
> > S2-3200 or the Hauppauge HVR4000 because Arte HD is transmitted on
> > DVB-S2 and not DVB-S.
> I'm not an sat-expert. Do I need a special LNB for DVB-S2? Or is it only
> the card which makes the difference?

No, you do not need a special LNB. The standard "universal" LNB should work.
You just need a DVB-S2 capable card.

> In general, what has the overall better Linux support? TechnoTrend or
> Haupauge? (I try to support hardware vendors who care about their Linux
> users and I usually see a "WinTV"-label on all those Haupauge cards).

I can't tell you anything about the Hauppauge HVR-4000, as I don't have one. But it
should be supported since Kernel 2.6.28 out of the box. For the Technotrend you have
to compile the modules by your own, but the card is working for me.

There are also some TeVii cards:
http://www.dvbshop.net/index.php/cat/c435_TeVii.html

I have ordered the TeVii S650 DVB-S2. I can report how good it works as soon it arrives.

NetUP has also announced the development of a PCI-Express Dual Tuner DVB-S2 card:
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/NetUP_Dual_DVB_S2_CI

Regards, Artem