Re: 1080p ready VDR

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 10:54:00PM +0100, Sascha Vogt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to this list and VDR in general, so if I'm missing some points
> or habits of this list, please feel free to correct me.

Welcome to the list ;)

> I'm on the way of building a VDR. At the moment I'm searching for
> hardware recommendations, but this seems to be a hard task.
>
> What I want my VDR to do:
> - Playback of 1080p videos (e.g. the big buck bunny)
> - Watching TV over DVB-S (normal and HD, e.g. AnixeHD)
> - Recording of TV (should not be too "difficult" *g*)
> - Playing music and films from my fileserver
>
> What I'm not sure about is:
> - Full-featured or budget DVB card
> - CPU requirements for HD playback
>

> There was a quite silent PC recommendation, in a recent c't (german
> computer magazine). They used an AMD Atholon X2 4850e on a GigaByte
> MA78G-DS3H mainboard and got the whole system to be not louder than 0.4
> Sone. The graphic is an onboard ATI Radeon HD3200 with HDMI out. What do
> you think? Is this sufficient for HD playback? And what about the DVB
> card? Is a budget card ok?

Take a look at: http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/HDTV

There are 2 different ways how you could do this:

1. Use a Reel HDe card

Use a Reel HDe card (http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Reel-HDe) for video output.
This will offload you CPU and do the video decoding in hardware.

2. Use softdevice / xineliboutput

Here you will do software decoding. Right now it is extremly CPU intensive. You need a at least
Dual-Core CPU with 3000+ MHz. I can watch Arte HD with my Athlon X2 6000+ with a CPU load of ~90%.

You can also use a Nvidia Video card with VDPAU, which will do the decoding in hardware.
Then then CPU-Load will be less then 10%, but this is currenly in development and does not work
reliably right now. Using VDPAU you will be able to watch HDTV with a Atholon X2 4850e CPU.

There are also Mainboards with onboard Nvidia 9300 or 9400 GPU's. They also support VDPAU.

The ATI cards can also do video decoding in hardware, but this is currently not working with linux at all,
so I would recommend you to get a mainboard with an onboard Nvidia GPU.

To receive Arte HD you need a DVB-S2 card, like the TechnoTrend S2-3200 or the Hauppauge HVR4000 because
Arte HD is transmitted on DVB-S2 and not DVB-S.

Regards, Artem