Re: VDR with S2API (update)

Hi,
On Mo, Dez 08, 2008 at 10:28:30 -0800, VDR User wrote:
V> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 2:00 AM, Halim Sahin <halim.sahin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I don't like the hd discusion because we don't have
> > any tv's which are build using a well developed standard.
> > E. G.
> > You can buy a lcd tv and after two years you can't use it's
> > hdmi connectiorr of hdmi revision 599,95.0
>
> I personally have many products with HDMI and have never experience
> any incompatibilities.  They exist but certainly don't seem to be
> common.
>
> > hd ready->full-hd/hdmi1.1, 1.2 1.3 .....
> > I read something about limitations of current hdmi standard so we will
> > maybe we get displayport as new solution???
>
> Don't know anything about that but I have no problems so no reason to
> look.  I have no problem up to the max my 60" tv handles which is
> 1080P.
>
> > In my opinion we should wait to get a stable well supported standard for
> > tv's and the used format like 720I or 1080P ....

> The problem I have with this way of thinking is that it completely
> ignores all the people who've already invested in new equipment.  For
> example, HDMI is here to stay and it's readily available in countless
> products so do you really think the best solution is to ignore it
> until something better comes along?  That makes no sense to me
> what-so-ever.  If you want to hold out for something better then
> you'll always be outdated and always be holding out since something
> better is always coming.  Support what's available today and people
> will be happy.

It makes no sense to me supporting  something
which can't be used with hdtv stuff in one year!
This wastes development time for non working and almost outdated stuff.
Doing h264 decoding in software isn't praticable.
I see the problems regarding the EHD from reel.
Micronas doesn't develop afaik this stuff any more and paying allmost 200 EUR for
a decoder card hmm ???????
My favourite solution will be decoding h264 with a strong gpu.
Maybe vdpau?

Just my 2 cents.
halim