Re: VDR with S2API (update)

Klaus Schmidinger schrieb:> On 08.12.2008 06:03, VDR User wrote:>   >> Just curious why you prefer that setup instead of going the budget>> route for the same or less cost?>>     >> Well, because I already have several of these FF cards, and it's> so easy to set up a VDR with them.>>   >> It's cheap these days to have even>> HDTV, especially with VDPAU now.  FF seems to have understandably gone>> the way of the dinosaur.>>     >> I'm pretty sure there are quite a few systems out there using> FF DVB cards. I wonder why you are constantly arguing against> them ;-)>> Klaus>   It´s the same question I wanted to ask but I refused as I thought this might be again lead to an endless discussion.
The difference I see: The FF was available for years and delivered a near perfect image (at least if you had a FF 1.3-1.6 with RGB out), but now, this thing is discontinued and suffers of the limited bandwith (still haven´t looked for someone who could be able to modify my card). So now, the FF indeed is a dinosaur, especially with an LCD-TV and with the patches floating around delivering a synced gfx card output. I still have a FF on my own and was satisfied with if for more than 5 years, and indeed: it was easy to set up. But with HD, the time for FF in the living room will soon be over.
In contrast to the FF, in my opinion, the eHD is already a dinosaur as Micronas has stopped producing the chip. I don´t know how many eHDs Dream Multimedia has still on stock, but I think the hardware supply is much more limited than it was with the FF cards.
But this is not the point: This time I don´t like the focus on this special solution, especially as this makes it clear, that VDR will never become a media center solution. But we all know: Klaus also never wanted this.
After all those years, I don´t want to leave VDR, but as already a lot of people mentioned, I am also going to try to set up XBMC and VDR side-by-side. And if once XBMC will have a good TV support, I am going to switch completely, as my world has expanded to the wishes playing back MP3s, DivX, Ogg, MKV, YouTube etc. without any problems because of necessary transconding, and then, using a normal gfx card and no limited hardware solution.
With kind regards
Joerg Knitter (still a big VDR fan)