Re: HD playback (was Where is the H.264 patch?)

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:34:07 +0100
Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 28.11.2008 12:21, Morfsta wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Klaus Schmidinger
> > <Klaus.Schmidinger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I haven't followed this lately, but if the broadcast stream contains
> >> AC3 data in PES packets with ID 0xC0, then the problem needs to be
> >> fixed at the broadcaster - VDR merely follows the standard.
> >> Unless, of course, a bug in VDR can be pointed out...

The trouble is the broadcasters won't care about "true" standards if
they're doing something that works for them and STBs. I appreciate your
view, but if VDR refuses to accommodate these deviations, the big
beaureaucratic broadcasters won't care and it spoils VDR for the users.

> > Hi Klaus,
> >
> > Perhaps you are right, but the bizarre thing is that I don't see any
> > evidence on the Internet of other set top boxes suffering from this
> > problem. But 0xC0 is normally reserved for MPA audio right? Surely
> > this would cause problems with other STBs? I also don't see users of
> > other software (e.g. MythTV) having this problem, which seems a bit
> > suspicious.
> >
> > I have uploaded a VDR recording of BBC HD to megaupload if you (or
> > anyone else) is interested in looking at it? Appreciate you might be
> > busy with other things right now though. Otherwise, I had a look in
> > device.c around
> >
> >           case 0xC0 ... 0xDF: // audio
> >
> >           case 0xBD: { // private stream 1
> >                  case 0x80: // AC3 & DTS
> >
> > but if 0xC0 is being used for audio I can't understand how this can be
> > adjusted to permit checking for the content of AC3 data too.

I really hope someone can work this out and devise a patch even if it
never becomes official.

> I haven't done anything in the direction of replaying HD content so far,
> and I won't get myself involved in replaying PES HD material.
> My guess would be that as soon as VDR is completely switched to TS
> recording, this problem should just go away, because VDR then no longer
> looks at these IDs at all.

Will that mean it won't be a problem for live playback with
xineliboutput either?

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk