Re: Freeview+ aka TV-Anytime Patch (updated)

On Sunday 05 October 2008, Gavin Hamill wrote:

> Interesting stuff :)
>
> I don't suppose it's possible to implement this as a plugin rather than
> a patch to VDR's core? Is there not enough core exposed via the plugin
> API?
>
> I can't see the patch going into VDR core any time because it's focused
> squarely at UK users only and Klaus would never have a use for it
> (unlike the Premiere-specific multi-angle support) so I'm worried that a
> lot of users will be missing out, especially if they use a packaged VDR.

I started writing it as a plugin but quickly ran into problems.

The patch has to intercept the TVAnytime descriptors out of the EIT. That
is certainly possible from a plugin, but would involve duplicating a lot
of core code, and I wonder what the performance impact would be on a slow
machine. In any event the libsi code would need changing to recognise the
new descriptors (though maybe Klaus might accept that).

The code then needs to store the CRIDs and Default Authority values, and
the existing channels.conf and epg.data files are the obvious places to
put them - there is AFAIK no hook to change these files or the data
structures behind them. That also allows the SVDRP interface to be used to
build high-level applications.

Dave