Re: VDR not starting if a plugin fails to start?

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 8:20 AM, Petri Helin <phelin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But why should even a fatal error (from plugin's perspective) cause VDR
> to not start? It should only cause the plugin not to be loaded. Of
> course plugins could also implement more intelligent initialization and
> try to deal with possible errors, but isn't it easier to just handle it
> in one place - at the VDR?

You could also argue that the plugins the user has selected to load
are intended to be used and not optional 'if you load, fine.  if not,
no biggie'.  I can see valid points for both sides but in the end it's
my opinion that the plugins are responsibile to deal with their own
problems, not VDR.

> If I think of the core VDR, I see its main function as recording
> TV-programmes. From that perspective it's not that big of a problem if
> it doesn't start properly due to a plugin not bevahing properly if I am
> sitting next to the PC and can fix or circumvent the problem. But since
> it will mostly record when I am not sitting next to it, I would prefer
> that it would still record the programme, no matter if all the plugins
> failed.

I think it's a huge assumption (and incorrect one) to say the main
function of VDR is to record tv shows.  I know many people who use it
for watching live tv, email notices, weather report, playing other
media something like an htpc, etc.  Maybe Klaus would consider making
this optional the same way he did when users spoke out against VDR
automatically exiting because of "video stream broken".  At least then
you could select to load VDR anyway and I could select to exit VDR so
I am notified & can fix the problem.  ;)

Cheers
-Derek