Re: VDR not starting if a plugin fails to start?

Diego Pierotto wrote:
> Petri Helin ha scritto:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been running VDR as a daemon started via init script for some
>> years now. I am currently using version 1.6.0-2. The problem is, that
>> every now and then VDR doesn't start when I boot the server. The culprit
>> seems to be lcdproc plugins, which for some reason cannot always connect
>> to the LCDd daemon. In VDR's log it shows up like this:
>>
>> OK:
>>
>> Sep 18 16:31:49 vdrkone2 vdr: [4890] starting plugin: lcdproc
>> Sep 18 16:31:49 vdrkone2 vdr: connection to LCDd at localhost:13666
>> established.
>> Sep 18 16:31:49 vdrkone2 vdr: LCD output thread started (pid=4890),
>> display size: 2x16
>>
>> NOT OK:
>>
>> Sep 18 19:05:45 vdrkone2 vdr: [4876] starting plugin: lcdproc
>> Sep 18 19:05:45 vdrkone2 vdr: [4876] stopping plugin: femon
>> Sep 18 19:05:45 vdrkone2 vdr: [4876] stopping plugin: burn
>>
>> Now, the question is, does this really cause VDR to shut down? And if
>> so, should VDR behave in some other way in such a case? Or is it just
>> lcdproc plugin that causes such a behaviour? Is it possible for VDR to
>> retry starting plugin which failed to start?
>>
>> -Petri

> Hi,
> what i now there is a patch inside Extension Patch that allow VDR to
> start even if a plugin fails.
> I don't remember which it's, just check inside the package.
>
> Diego Pierotto

I may have been a bit vague and unclear in what I wrote earlier. I did
check the source code and noticed that if a plugin fails to start it
really causes VDR to not start also. My aim really was to start some
discussion on whether that should be changed. I myself think that VDR
should start although some plugin fails to start. I'd hate to find out
that some timed recording failed because the lcd display of the PC case
malfunctioned.

-Petri