Re: VDR Development

On 09/06/08 17:40, Hans Werner wrote:
>> On 09/06/08 16:34, Hans Werner wrote:
>>> After 145 or so days without any release, there is a lot of code which
>>> has been posted as patches implementing vital features (such as H.264)
>>> which could immediately be merged in.
>> If I'm not mistaken the currently available patch for H.264 is based on
>> the PES recording format, which will be the next thing to vanish!
>> That's why I'm currently working on switching to TS recording format.
>> It just didn't make sense to me to introduce H.264 recording in PES format
>> and *then* switch to TS...
>>
>> Klaus
>
> Ok, I understand. Naturally there are often prerequisites which mean that a
> particular patch cannot be immediately applied.
>
> But your phrasing is quite telling: "*I'm* currently working on switching to TS".

That means I am currently changing my VDR code (meaning: the copy on my disk)
in a way that it will finally use TS. I did look at patches I became aware of,
but in some areas had other ideas how to do things.

> I believe the TS recording story has been going on for some time.
> You said the same thing on May 4 2008
> http://linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/2008-May/016762.html

So? At that time I started working in that area, and then came a rather
busy and beautiful summer. I'm beginning to feel like a defendent here
who has to justify his each and every action...

> Here's a patch from December 2006 (perhaps there are problems with it, I don't know)
> http://fepg.org/patches/vdr-1.4.0-ts-recording-0.0.3.diff

There's no sign of PAT/PMT generation/parsing in that patch. If we're
going to use TS, it should be a TS that can be actually used.

I don't plan on continuing to use PES as recording format. Existing PES
recordings will be playable, but new recordings will be TS only.

> Here's a mention of the problem in 2004
> http://linvdr.org/mailinglists/vdr/2004/05/msg00217.html

This was about recording encrypted streams and decrypting them
later. IMHO a rather special application. Most people, I assume,
have CAMs and will record the decrypted version directly.

Klaus