Re: new dvb api ?

Jelle De Loecker wrote:
> I was wondering what the people on the VDR ml thought about this.

 From a non-dvb-insider perspective who doesn't really need things like
s2 right now, I'm seeing this form a relaxed point of view.

The two APIs seem to do things different, but in the end they both offer
the same. The multiproto is more like a redesigned version of the old
API, the S2API seems a bit more flexible and generic. For userspace
applications, things are probably not too different to do.

I cannot comment on the driver's internal structures, and how
easy/difficult it is to write drivers for them and how difficult/easy it
is to keep compatibility with existing apps/drivers, but this seems to
be one part of the discussion too.

In the end, some competition is never wrong, and time will show which
concept will win. At least the last 10 days have seen a lot more
activity in the future DVB drivers, than in the months before that.

Cheers,

Udo