Re: VDR as a set top box

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Jörg Knitter <joerg.knitter@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Petri Helin wrote:
>  > [...]
>
> > start up a fluxbox session. The fluxbox session runs a start up script
>  > which starts vdr-sxfe, which connect to the xineliboutput plugin.
>  > [...]
>  >
>  One general question: Is vdr-sxfe reliable enough on
>  bad-weather-conditions? I have played around last week with VDR-1.5.18
>  and xineliboutputs internal display window, and it was rock-solid while
>  in the past other solutions like xine or vdr-sxfe crashed if there was a
>  bigger problem with the signal strength.
>  Or do you have implemented some kind of "keep vdr-sxfe
>  alive"-functionality? Because having to start vdr-sxfe manually again is
>  IMHO not really set-top-box-like... :)
>  On the other hand, I would prefer using vdr-sxfe instead of the internal
>  x11 display because then I can release LIRC by shutting down vdr-sxfe
>  e.g. if I want to use Elisa as second Media Center for playing back MP3s
>  and videos in a more comfortable way than VDR can offer...

What I have is vdr-sxfe starting with parameter "--reconnect", which
restarts vdr-sxfe in case the connection is lost. I have also set up
remote control so that it has buttons for calling scripts that stop
and start vdr-sxfe in case there is something wrong with it (quite
seldom nowadays, but some time ago it got stuck with some recordings).

-Petri