Re: Wakeup methods

Rainer Zocholl kirjoitti:
> kari@xxxxxxxxxxxx(Kartsa)  10.02.08 10:37
>
>> What different wakeupmethods are there? I've built a few vdr boxes and
>> I've been forced to use different motherboards and they do not all
>> work the same. I've used nvram-wakeup on some and acpi on others when
>> nvram-wakeup has not worked. Now I have Biostar 945GZ 775 SE with
>> which I'm having trouble in starting on timers.
>>
> What problems? Be spezific.

At the time writing I was not really asking help, just qurious what
methods people use. This is why I did not put any detailed info. Maybe I
should not have mentioned about problems I at that time.

Now I see that I should have added more info because I'm not yet happy
with my settings. I would have used acpi and it was my first attempt but
the board did not wake up.

from vdr-shutdown.sh
-------------------
file=/var/lib/vdr/acpi-wakeup
rm -f $file
if [ ${1:-0} -gt 0 -a -e /proc/acpi/alarm ] ; then
    date -d "1970-01-01 UTC $1 sec -$delay min" +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S" > $file
fi
exec sudo /sbin/shutdown -h now
--------------------

and from halt.local (this is what is instructed in vdr README.package)
--------------------
#!/bin/bash
wakeupfile=/var/lib/vdr/acpi-wakeup
trap "rm -f $wakeupfile" EXIT
if [ -s $wakeupfile -a -w /proc/acpi/alarm ] ; then
    echo -n "Setting ACPI wakeup for next VDR timer: " ; cat $wakeupfile
    cat $wakeupfile > /proc/acpi/alarm
fi
-------------------
But it does not wake up. And this is not a very old mb. So I assume I am
doing something wrong or not doing something I should.
I got it to boot up using nvram-wakeup with reboot option (after guess
helper). But as said nvram should be obsolete and replaced by acpi.

On another mb (4CoreDual-Sata23) I used
-------------------
newtime=$(($1 - delay*60 ))   # delay minutes earlier
echo $newtime > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
-------------------
which did the trick.

On biostar there were no /sys/class/rtc

So I tried from http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/ACPI_Wakeup (as
someone mentioned in this thread)

--------------
#!/bin/bash

# Startet dem Rechner nach 3 min ueber acpi neu.

min=`date "+%M"`
nextmin=`expr $min + 3`
nextboot=`date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:"$nextmin:00`
echo $nextboot > /proc/acpi/alarm

echo "Aktuelle Zeit:         "`date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"`
echo "Starte Rechner neu um: "`cat /proc/acpi/alarm`
echo "Fahre Rechner nun runter."

busybox poweroff
#/usr/bin/poweroff.pl
#poweroff

I  can read germany but I do not understand it :). But understood that I
could use that script to test acpi. Well this did not work. I did check
that the time was actually written in /proc/acpi/alarm. Still not waking up.

So where do I go here? Do I use nvram-wakeup which IMHO is not good
because of the reboot.

\\Kartsa