Re: [ANNOUNCE] DVB-S2 + H.264 support for VDR-1.5.12

Hi,

Manu Abraham schrieb:

>> I know DVB-S2 cards can do DVB-S that's the reason to force VDR to use
>> DVB-S only cards for DVB-S before the DVB-S2 ones, which if you want a
>> DVB-S2 channels, so is your DVB-S2 cards free.
>>
>> But one should get a way to tell VDR no to try to tune DVB-S2 channels
>> on DVB-S card.
>
> You can do that. In fact the application should do a DVBFE_GET_INFO. This will query
> the capability of that specific driver. Based on the driver capabilities, issue a tuning
> request. That way a tune will be attempted only on the capable device.
>
> It is a simple check, though.
>
> Reinhard,
>
> The patched version doesn't look at the device capability flags, before issuing a tune ?
> Or is something else wrong/missing ?

I must admit, I didn't have a look at the source code so far, but
from what I recall, I don't think that it is that easy. I think,
a simple check will only make VDR tell you that the channel in
question cannot be received.

I've experienced myself that VDR used the DVB-S2 card for a DVB-S
recording and then endlessly tried to switch to a DVB-S2 channel
using the DVB-S card -- obviously without success.

VDR's device selection logic is already quite complex. It has to
deal with FF cards which have so far been used to watch the DVB-S
channels, cards which provide CI interfaces and simple receiver
cards. Moreover it now would have to deal with cards capable of
doing DVB-S2, with or without CI interface respectively.

As I'm only distributing the DVB-S2 part which Marco Schlüßler
provided several months ago, I've contacted him and asked him for
an update.

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl