Re: About language choices in subtitle and audio selectors

On 11/12/07 20:11, Petri Helin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering whether it would be possible to use full names instead of
> abbreviations for languages in audio and subtitle selectors? I am also
> wondering how the current solution gets the name/abbreviation for an
> option in the list, since at least for subtitles there seems to be
> something wrong. For Finnish subtitles I get the abbreviation "fin" for
> live TV and recordings made with VDR version >= 1.5.10. Same for Swedish
>   subtitles. But for a program which contains Finnish and Spanish
> subtitles, I get "fin" and "50" or, even more confusing, "fin" and
> "fin". And for recordings made with the old subtitles plugin and VDR
> version prior to 1.5.10 with Finnish subtitles, the option given says "57".
>
> I feel this is a bit confusing, and was hoping to change it, but
> unfortunately I cannot figure out the method how the names for the
> option are chosen. So, I am hoping for someone to clarify how it is done
> and whether it could be easily changed.

The three letter language codes are derived from the codes broadcast
in the PID definitions (see pat.c under 'case SI::SubtitlingDescriptorTag:').
The full names are derived from the EPG's component descriptors (see
eit.c under 'case SI::ComponentDescriptorTag:').

When it comes to presenting these to the user, they are collected in
menu.c, function SetTrackDescriptions(). If no textual description
is available, the raw index of the track is used.

So VDR just displays what the provider broadcasts - unless, of course,
there is a bug in VDR's code, in which case you're welcome to send a
fix.

Klaus