Re: Output methods and WSS

Because Vomp does not provide the VDR osd this does present a unique set of
desirable and undesirable features.

However the two features I find more desirable than anything else is full support
for interlaced scart PAL with WSS and it is stable. This is the ticket to
domestic use. IMHO this is the Achilles heal of all HTPC applications including VDR.

Despite the great effort many VDR developers have put into output methods,
there remain problems that prevent use in a domestic environment. I used a
DXR3 for years but could never rely on it because it crashed so often.
Softdevice, xine and xineliboutput require a pc that consumes too much energy
to achieve a smooth output. I have not tried a premium DVB card but they are
expensive, rare and I hear reports they often crash to. I am curious to know how
good a VIA EPIA mini itx board would be.

Stuart

Kartsa <kari@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Laz kirjoitti:
> On Tuesday 16 Oct 2007, Stuart Morris wrote:
>
>> According to the MVPvdr website
>> http://www.rst38.org.uk/mediamvp/mvpvdr.html
>> there appears to be no way to set timers so I have never been tempted
>> to try it out.
>>
>> I failed to get an early version of the MediaMVP plugin to work many
>> years ago.
>>
>> Vomp is still being developed so maybe you should join the forum
>> http://www.loggytronic.com/forum/
>>

> Vomp seems to work quite well. I have an older (H2) MediaMVP which I use
> on a tele' upstairs, mainly for watching recordings but live TV also
> works. I think it does have the ability to set timers (on the remote vdr
> server) but I've never tried that.
>
> I also have a newer (H4) MediaMVP which I've never managed to get to work
> but I think it's meant to. These things load a firmware using TFTP when
> you boot them and they seem quite picky about which files they will
> download (or not in the case of the newer one!).
>
> It was fairly easy to set the older one up but you do need a DHCP server
> (to point the MediaMVP at a TFTP server) and a TFTP server to serve the
> firmware. Both of these are built in to the vompserver plugin but I never
> managed to get them to work! I'm already running a DHCP server on a
> different machine so I'm using that to point the MediaMVP at my main vdr
> box which is running a stand-alone TFTP server.
>
> Might sound complicated but it works (at least for the older one!).
>
> Some things it is missing (as far as I can tell) are trickspeed playback
> and editing functions, and some of the remote buttons do different things
> from how I've got my main vdr remote set up. It allows playback of
> recordings to be resumed but it uses its own resume files, so if you are
> halfway through watching a recording on the real vdr system, it will
> replay from the beginning on the vomp box!
>
> I'm not sure I'd want it as my main way of using vdr (lacks some useful
> features) but is very good for use as a second system. Also much quieter
> than the old PC I had as a second vdr system upstairs!

As I said, I have a MediaMVP and Vompserver running. Have had for some
time now (six months or so). The biggest problem is the lack of support
for subtitles. And I agree that as with the current properties I am not
going to use this as my main device. And you can not edit timers with it
only wiev them. Also I would like for the resume to be possible while
changing from vdr to mediamvp or vv. But anyway it is good for as a
second device in the bedroom. It's small and makes no sound and you can
use it for wieving live tv or recordings.

And for Stuart, I joined the forum a long time ago :)

Still remains to be answered if anyone has tried MVPVdr?

\\Kartsa