Re: New VDR logging method (Was: Re: [ANNOUNCE] VDR developer version 1.5.7)

On 08/12/07 20:51, Stefan Lucke wrote:
> On Sunday 12 August 2007 19:47, Patrick Cernko wrote:
>> Hi list, hi Klaus,
>>
>> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>>> The changes since version 1.5.6:
>>>
>>> - All logging now goes to LOG_ERR, because some systems split error, info and
>>>   debug messages into separate files, which repeatedly caused extra efforts to
>>>   find out when incomplete log excerpts were attached to problem reports in
>>>   the past.
>> should this change be permanent, configurable or will it only apply for
>> the developer releases?
>
> I vote for a configurable solution.
> Softdevice has such a mode (not realized for all messages but ..) which
> allows some kind of messages to be turned off (info, debug and trace).
> Messages can be written to stdout/stderr or to a configureable
> file with optionally current PID appended.

You can control how much VDR logs via the -l option.

>> In my opinion, it is a benefit to redirect different log levels to
>> different files for normal operation. In case of a bug, a
>> commandline/setup option could select this behaviour to produce full logs.

Believe me, after having gone through the "your log is incomplete, please
send all the VDR log entries from all the files your logging setup might
spread the into" often enough, you would also switch to a *single* log
file.

Klaus