Re: OT: issues about binary only code in GPLed programs [WAS] future VDR and Net??eiver OEM from Reelmultimedia

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 02:33:21PM +0100, Darren Salt wrote:

> That doesn't matter. It's still Linux-based and you still need to release the
> modified sources (I'd say enough to allow the building of a complete
> filesystem image for the device).

To make it clear: This whole argument is *ONLY* about the HDMI chip driver,
which is the only closed source part in the kernel. This part is *not* a
modification of some existing code. You can build the whole image without it
(or maybe with a dummy module) from source, and all the video decoding and
analog output will still work, but you lose and HDMI/DVI output.

Maybe there will be a better solution later, but for the moment that's it.
There are enough real challenges in the project than thinking about how that
module can be put into user space...

--
         Georg Acher, acher@xxxxxxxxx
         http://www.lrr.in.tum.de/~acher