OT: issues about binary only code in GPLed programs [WAS] future VDR and Net??eiver OEM from Reelmultimedia

Georg Acher <acher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From a technical view this is right, but with just a component output
> you can't sell a HDTV decoder card nowadays. And HDMI is not only
> about encryption but also contains audio encapsulation. And that is
> an argument for HDMI vs. DVI...

true.

> HDCP on a open Linux system is useless anyway.

hdcp is useless on any system. it is the same with every single DRM
scheme out there, it only limits the legal ownders in what they can do
with what they bought. but this is even more off topic.

> > because that means they get an stable and well performing OS at zero
> > cost for their embedded designes what makes these chips sell better.
>
> So what? Wasn't it idea of free Software to get it without paying for
> it?

no. and i'm a little bit shocked to read this from you. i hope this is
just an unlucky wording.

> Or is there a newly inserted paragraph about hardware vendors to
> pay something if they use free SW?

sarcasm does not help here either.

free software does not care about how practical or profitable it is for
you to fulfill your distribution-license requirements.

> Overall, all this (IMO useless) discussion is only about the HDMI
> driver part which is currently (accidently) implemented in the
> kernel. I can't see that it's getting any "better" from an OSS
> standpoint when it's a closed-source user space program. Get real...

that's your opinion.

> The usual practical "anti-binary" arguments for a PC platform (new
> mainboard requires new kernel) don't count here, it's an embedded
> system. You can't simply switch the kernel anyway, as it has many
> additions for the V4L-stuff.

what if i wan't to put additional faetures into the card? what if i
want to fix a bug in the firmware? benefit from performance improvments
in later kernel releases?

it is not you who has to decide what i do with my hardware. THAT is the
whole point of free software. get real.

[..]

many people don't care about their freedom as users. either because
they don't have the knowledege to fiddle with the software themselfs or
they rather have binary drivers for their expensive / high performance
video card than free drivers for a cheep one. fine. but at least
vendors MUST respect the will of the countless developers who release
their work under the license of their choice for a reason.

best regards ...
clemens