Re: A few observations on the vdr project

ONE LAST THING! =)

> As I've stated on several occasions: I don't like official
> roadmaps. They tend to become sort of binding, and if - for
> some reason - a new release actually doesn't contain a feature
> that was promised on the roadmap, all sorts of complaints
> might emerge. I do observe the mailing list and all the suggestions
> and patches posted here or sent to me in private emails, but
> I like to be free to actually implement whatever I see fit at
> my own pace.

Ofcourse making tight deadlines for people who contribute on their
spare time is crazy. On the other hand I still do think that a
deadline two years away is a better thing than a new version
coming out two years from now and everyone expects it to be released
any day now. To really simplify it, saying people "version 1.5 will
be out in 2008" is better than saying "version 1.5 will be out when
it's done"(you'll easily make the deadline without sacrificing any
more spare time than you do now) is better than "version 1.5
will be out in january 2008"(you'll have to sacrifice more spare
time than you want and it still might not make it).

now I'm really done

gnarlie