Freezes with Reiserfs

Sven Schwyn wrote:
> I'm having strange issues with my VDR box lately. However, I'm not sure
> at all it has anything to do with VDR as other services are running on
> it, too.
>
> The Gentoo box freezed four times in the past month, twice of which the
> very minute a VDR timer stopped. (Maybe even all four times, but I

one thing that comes to mind is that vdr calls fdatasync when closing an mpg
file, maybe this trips up reiserfs somehow. You could try to comment out that
call (in tools.c cUnbufferedFile::Close). Also apparently there is some reiserfs
option to reduce the writeout rate, maybe turning that off would help.

artur