Xineliboutput: can achieve similar to softdevice's mgatv option?

In <1849e5180704210640w51c2e5bdi669de67ffe25535e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Alasdair Campbell wrote:

> On 21/04/07, Tony Houghton <h@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >Another alternative is to use the other vdr xine plugin with df_xine,
> >which gives very good results with my Matrox (G450). About the only
> >problem is that it sometimes doesn't scale the OSD correctly, chopping
> >off the right hand side. Something to do with 16:9 vs 4:3 I'm sure. And
>
> I'm seeing something similar to that with More4 & other less popular
> channels on UK DVB-T. The lower resolution or incorrect imprinted aspect
> ratio causes the OSD to zoom to the left two thirds, with the right third
> off screen.

2/3 sounds about the same as my experience.

> As this only happens on one or two channels that I watch, It's not
> bothering me too much. xineliboutput is exactly what I need at the moment,
> with my headless recording server and one streaming client - I wanted to
> control the server osd directly for now.

I've found it seems to come and go, but I haven't really noticed what
seems to trigger it. ITV3 is definitely one channel it sometimes happens
on, but not always.

> So boxstar will give me direct control over VDR similar to xineliboutput? I
> hadn't realised that.
> At the moment I'm not looking to change my setup, just tweak what I have :-)

What boxstar is is a menu-driven front-end for video applications. It's
written in python with SDL (pygame) for output, so it's very flexible,
including DirectFB support provided your SDL is compiled with it. It can
use remote controls provided they generate input device events - I had
some trouble with pylirc and lacked time and inclination to get that
working. It's still very early in its development cycle, but I'm not
doing very much work on it at the moment because other things are taking
up my time and it's got to that stage where it just about works
adequately for my own needs. I hope to switch my attention back to
boxstar in a few months.

Anyway, one of the things that you can get boxstar to do as a menu entry
is to (optionally) shut down its display and launch a player (eg
df_xine) and pass input events on to VDR via its remote plugin.  Boxstar
retains control of the input device so it can detect when you press the
Power button which makes it kill the player and go back to its menu
system. This also has the advantages that you can shut down play back to
save CPU power when not watching anything, and you only have to train
one program with your remote control - when playing other videos it also
retains control of the input device and controls mplayer via its slave
mode.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk