[RFC] Shutdown rewrite for 1.5.x

> Is that HD-capable? HDTV seems quite common in NA, but currently in the
> UK there are very few HD channels, only available through overpriced
> subscriptions. It looks unlikely that there'll be any FTA/FTV HD until
> at least after the analogue terrestrial switch-off in 2012.

HDTV is not as common here as the advertising would make you believe.  HDTV
programming is very limited here also.  The famous "shut off" of analog
signals in NA is honestly much ado about nothing (interesting choice in year
2012 by the way).  It concerns only OTA HDTV terrestrial reception, and in
America, the vast majority of households (90%+) subscribe to cable or
satellite.  The remaining 10% are the homes that are too poor to afford an
HDTV, and therefore won't care about OTA HDTV signals.

Unfortunately, there is no FTA satellite HDTV to speak of, and I doubt we
will get any anytime soon.  The business model in America for most services
is proprietary, closed  systems sold through monthly fees, whether we are
talking about radio, television, software, health care, or what have you.  I
would venture a guess that over 99% of the population doesn't even know what
dvb-s is, or that there is any "FTA" available other than the local
terrestrial 4 or 5 networks (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX) with their ever-shinking
market share.  And the vast majority of the FTA here is ethnic or religious
programming. Nevertheless, MPEG4/H.263 is the future if only for bandwidth
reasons, and HDTV is the future, if only for aspect ratio uniformity through
the market.  Again, sorry for straying off topic.