rambling newbie questions

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:19:27 -0500
"Russell Treleaven" <russ@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like to make a small PVR appliance. I have digital cable and it
> is my understanding that I could get a DVB card that captures an MPEG
> stream but most of the content is encrypted and to my knowledge no one
> has figured out how to decrypt it. Since I want the premium content I
> need the cable companies settop box to decrypt it.

So the digital television standard your cable company uses is really
DVB-C, but content scrambling is not based on DVB-CA (Conditional
Access)? Interesting, what company is it and which system are they
using then?

> MythTV seems too big, requires a database and X
> Mplayer seems too big and requires X
> VLC seems to big and requires X

Well, MPlayer and VLC are not necessarily that big and I think you can
compile MPlayer without X support (or you can install X headers and
libraries to compile MPlayer, if it can't be done otherwise). In any
case, running these programs doesn't require running an X server.
I wouldn't use MPlayer as the primary media frontend though, just as
a video player.

> I have installed the following
> ivtv 0.8.0
> vdr 1.4.4
> vdr-pvr350 0.0.4_pre1
> vdr-analogtv 1.0.00-r1
>
> I can't figure out how to get VDR running
> localhost media-video # /etc/init.d/vdr start
>  * Preparing start of vdr:
>  *   config files ...
> [ ok
>
>  *   Some plugins could not be loaded!
>  *   Waiting for prerequisits (devices nodes etc.) ...
>  * could not start vdr: dvb device not found
>
> [ !!
> -------------------------
> localhost media-video # cat /var/vdr/vdr-start-log
> Startlog for VDR
> I: vdr-pvr350: plugin not found

Seems that there were problems loading both the analogtv and
the pvr350 plugin, since VDR complains about the DVB device.
Perhaps analogtv is not configured properly. The pvr350 problem
is probably packaging-related (as in a bug in the ebuild).

> Another thing I would like to be able to do is play avi files, wmf and
> other video file formats through the tv-out.
> Is VDR the correct tool?

Not exactly, you need to use MPlayer through the vdr-mplayer plugin to
play those files.

Regards,
Niko Mikkil?