rambling newbie questions

Hi All,

I have installed Gentoo linux on a dedicated pc to be the foundation of
my PVR.
I have an Hauppage pvr-350

My goal and thought process goes like this.
I would like to make a small PVR appliance. I have digital cable and it
is my understanding that I could get a DVB card that captures an MPEG
stream but most of the content is encrypted and to my knowledge no one
has figured out how to decrypt it. Since I want the premium content I
need the cable companies settop box to decrypt it.

I have also noticed that frequently the listings from zap2it do not
match what is actually on. This and the fact that I wan't to keep the
PVR lean lead me to choose a solution that does not download the
programming schedule from the internet. Since I will be using the set
top boxe's on screen display through the PVR means the PVR should keep
latency to a minimum.

The setup I currently have is like this
DVD player and settop box connected to Hauppage pvr-350 via its SPDIF
connectors.
stereo amplifier and TV connected to pvr-350 via its TVout connector.

ivtv is installed and working.
I can watch TV two different ways
1. "ivtvctl -d /dev/video1 -K1"
2. "cat /dev/video1 > /dev/video16"
Recording and playback are similar to command 2.
When watching TV via method 1 the audio gradually seems to loose sync
with the video. I don't really notice but my spouse does.
When watching TV via method 2 there is enough lag to make using the set
top boxe's on screen display hard to use.

Of all the solutions I am aware of VDR looks to be the best match for my
requirements.

MythTV seems too big, requires a database and X
Mplayer seems too big and requires X
VLC seems to big and requires X

VDR can run as a deamon, has onscreen display and can use the Hauppage
remote control
I believe I can use the VDR OSD in conjuntion with the cable companies
settop box OSD to control things nicely.

I have installed the following
ivtv 0.8.0
vdr 1.4.4
vdr-pvr350 0.0.4_pre1
vdr-analogtv 1.0.00-r1

I can't figure out how to get VDR running
localhost media-video # /etc/init.d/vdr start
 * Preparing start of vdr:
 *   config files ...
[ ok

 *   Some plugins could not be loaded!
 *   Waiting for prerequisits (devices nodes etc.) ...
 * could not start vdr: dvb device not found
[ !!
-------------------------
localhost media-video # cat /var/vdr/vdr-start-log
Startlog for VDR
I: vdr-pvr350: plugin not found
--------------------------
localhost plugins # ls -al /etc/vdr/plugins/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 vdr  vdr  4096 Jan 21 11:46 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 vdr  vdr  4096 Jan 21 15:59 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 vdr  vdr     0 Jan 20 17:53 .keep_media-video_vdr-0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   45 Jan 21 11:39 libvdr-analogtv ->
/usr/lib/vdr/plugins/libvdr-analogtv.so.1.4.4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   43 Jan 21 11:46 libvdr-pvr350 ->
/usr/lib/vdr/plugins/libvdr-pvr350.so.1.4.4
localhost plugins #

Can someone give me a clue or point me at some documentation that will
help me?

Another thing I would like to be able to do is play avi files, wmf and
other video file formats through the tv-out.
Is VDR the correct tool?
Is my throught process sound?

Please Advise,

russ@xxxxxxxx