Parameter --manual-start/--timer-start

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 05:16:22PM +0100, Udo Richter wrote:
> Marko M?kel? wrote:
> >I have written a patch for making the Power key suspend the output.
> >Some softdevice users have found it useful, but I've been told that
> >the patch does not stop playback on full-featured cards.  You can
> >access the patch here: http://www.iki.fi/~msmakela/software/vdr/#suspend
> >
> >I originally made the patch for vdr 1.3.32, and back then it was too late
> >to change the shutdown behaviour of 1.4.  I hope that the feature will make
> >it to 1.5 in some form.
>
> Since I've taken the job to re-design the shutdown stuff for 1.5.x, I
> probably have to take a look into this too.

Thank you, I really appreciate that!

> I'm not sure whether this will be a core feature of VDR, but maybe we
> can add the needed interfaces so this can be done with a plugin.

At the very least, the plugins should be able to receive suspend and
resume events.  I think it would be useful to expose the interface for
generating suspend and resume events as well.

> I'm not yet sure how exactly the new shutdown code will look like, but
> I'm quite sure there will be a way to detect whether VDR is currently
> interactive (some user is watching) or not (unattended start, timer
> recording, no activity for x hours, power button pressed but not
> confirmed). Based on that, a plugin could probably take over the output
> device and suspend it or show a still. Or softdevice itself could react
> on this.

If the suspend and resume events were to be processed in softdevice, then
also the subtitles plugin would have to process the events.  Otherwise,
the subtitles would keep running on the OSD even though video and audio are
suspended.

Regards,

	Marko