multiple keypresses with remote plugin

On 21 Sep 2006, at 09:03, Marko M?kel? wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 11:43:09AM +0100, Torgeir Veimo wrote:
>> Using the remote plugin with a /dev/input/eventX setup for a
>> hauppauge grey remote via a nova-t sensor with X11/Xv using
>> softdevice works perfectly. With the same setup with directfb single
>> button presses very often are detected as multiple button presses.
>
> I don't remember seeing a reply to this.  What does "evtest" report
> when you press a button?

It appears to be correct, it's just too fast, see below

>> It seems somehow that there's no minimum time between button presses
>> unless the X server is running. Anyone got a clue about what's
>> missing when using directfb? (I've turned off all directfb input
>> modules.)
>
> An older version of the vdr-remote plugin was confused by type 0
> events
> (IIRC), which were reported by the cx88 driver.  However, that was
> fixed
> a few months ago after I reported it.  I still don't use the plugin,
> because it seems to significantly lower the repeat rate.  I prefer the
> built-in 114 ms repeat rate of the RC5 protocol.

I think it's the build in 114ms repeat rate that I find too fast,
often being interpreted as two button presses. I tried using evtest
both with the console, which yields additional keyrepeats after just
100ms (i guess it's exactly 114ms), and under X11, where there's a
delay of about 250ms before any additional keyrepeats. The repeat
rate seems to be the same in both environments. However, it seems
that after running X11, the delay is set to about 250ms also when
running evtest in the console.

I found this article interesting: http://www.linuxjournal.com/
articles/lj/0107/6429/6429l12.html . It describes how one can set the
repeat rate and delay using the EVIOCGREP ioctl. It would be
interesting to get in a patch into the remote plugin to do this, but
for now I'm just using the attached small program.

--
Torgeir Veimo
torgeir@xxxxxxxxx