remote clients with xineliboutput questions

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 10:58:16 +0100
Jon <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can the two remote clients act independently to each other, with full osd?

Nope :/ VDR would require major re-engineering to be a 'multi head' system. As it stands, xineliboutput works by being the primary device, so if you have an FF card and run xineliboutput, your FF card output goes blank and the video/OSD appears only via xineliboutput...

The only current solution for such a system is running one copy of VDR with streamdev-server, then another copy for each client, with each client using streamdev-client. Timers can be scheduled, but it'll require a bit of UNIX magic / cron scripts etc.

> How reliable is this setup?

I've never put together such a system, but my rule-of-thumb experiences with streamdev would say it was 'usable, but a bit shaky'.. If anyone has positive results, by all means post here and document the setup / versions, etc. :)

> Is there a better solution?

If there is, I'd love to hear it! The Hauppauge MediaMVP boxes might be a better solution since they run completely under their own plugin. I haven't checked plugin / driver support for those in a while now...

Cheers,
Gavin.