warning - cannot set dumpable: Invalid argument

Hi,

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:15:38 +0300 Ville Skytt? <vskytta@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I'm not disputing this fix per se, but it is highly unfortunate, as
> VDR crashes are often hard to reproduce.  Running as root is not
> acceptable in many setups, and even temporarily switching between
> root and the normal dedicated user results in annoyances such as file
> ownership issues in addition to the uncertainty whether the crash
> condition can be reproduced in the first place.  Being able to run as
> non-root and have "secure" core dumps (which actually turned out to
> be not that secure) enabled and subject to ulimit -c just as usual
> was convenient.
>
> Would it be out of the question to add a command line option like
> --enable-insecure-core-dumps which when set and when run as non-root,
> would result in PR_SET_DUMPABLE=1, and otherwise no prctl() at all?
> This would get rid of some of the above difficulties.

I agree. Since these conditions can only arise when the process itself
has been started as root, it should be root's decision, too.

An updated patch is attached. It will probably need a bit of discussion
if the command switch I've introduced is properly named (userdump), if
the description fits and if the modus operandi is acceptable.

-hwh