Xinelibout xine plugin keyboard control using stdin (stdctl)

I'm writing a simple python / twisted app to control and switch between
vdr-sxfe (for VDR) and xine-ui (for DVD playback).

I'm controlling both apps using their stdin (xine via --stdctl) but each
uses a different protocol. vdr-sxfe accepts character sequences which
have to match the hex encoded sequences defined in vdr/remote.conf
while xine-ui stdin protocol seems to be line based and accepts the
commands that are defined in xine --keymap.

I prefer the xine-ui way and would like to ditch vdr-sxfe, but I can't
work out how to send the vdr specific commands via stdctl.
I've been referring to...
http://xineliboutput.cvs.sourceforge.net/xineliboutput/vdr-xineliboutput/xine_input_vdr.c?revision=1.15&view=markup&sortby=date
...and all the XINE_EVENT_INPUT_* mappings work, although a little
confusingly...eg.

XINE_EVENT_INPUT_UP	 = "Up"	 = EventUp
XINE_EVENT_INPUT_SELECT	 = "Ok"	 = EventSelect
XINE_EVENT_INPUT_MENU1	 = "Menu"= Menu
XINE_EVENT_INPUT_MENU5	 = "Blue"= AudioMenu
XINE_EVENT_INPUT_NUMBER_1= "1"	 = Number1

...but I can't get any of the XINE_EVENT_VDR_* mappings to work. There
are no Vdr commands listed in xine --keymap

I tried xine-remote too, but it does not list any available vdr commands.

Can anyone tell me how send the vdr commands via stdctl?
--
Richard Wall