[OT] SPDIF and AC3

Ray Glendenning wrote:
> Hi
>
> The FF cards can't output a true raw DD stream but have to encapsualte
> the DD data within a PCM stream.  Some older amps, such as my Sony
> STR-DB940 don't understand this stream format as it was only added to
> handle chips where the header construction was out of the software
> control.  I have just had to explain all this to Kiss as the dp-600 (and
> any other players using the same sdk) showed this flaw but is apparently
> fixable in software.
>
> Hope this makes sense but it's late
Yes it makes sense, the question is how one could repack the stream to
DD format?

Is the bitstreamout plugin a way to do this?
I've seen some earlier comments about looping the output of the FF SPDIF
   through an additional sound card with a new SPDIF output. Is that the
way to go or could the plugin read the AC3 stream directly?

BR
/t