Re: softdevice & nvidia overlay issues

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:18:33 -0700 (MST)
"CR" <oauk32v02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Niko,
>
> Niko Mikkila wrote:
>

> > What's so dumb about that? The video blitter does about the same thing and more
> > through the same old XVideo extension. Actually the blitter has much better
> > scaling quality and is a lot faster than the overlay on my old Riva TNT 2. It
> > also seems that the open source driver uses the blitter as the default XVideo
> > adapter, and doesn't even offer overlay, at least on my card. AFAIK the only
>
> > Video textures through OpenGL seem to be the way to go since that allows
> > hardware alpha blending for OSD among other effects.
>
> Are you using one of these newer nVidia cards with VDR/softdevice?  Would
> you share your settings and experiences with it?  Using the psuedo setting
> for OSD I would get blinking video.  Using the "software" setting I would
> get OSD but the colors were wrong during DVD playback.

My only NVIDIA card is the Riva TNT 2, and I haven't tried softdevice with it.
The video blitter on my card probably works pretty much the same way the newer
cards do, but there are of course differences in NVIDIA binary driver releases.
Have you tried both the binary and the open source drivers, or do the open
source drivers even support your card?

> Yes video textures through OpenGL is a wonderful idea, but what in VDR
> land supports that?  Softdevice (according to another list member) doesn't
> support XvMC so I assume it falls back on overlay support for OSD.

The two Xine plugins should work, although I'm not sure if Xine draws the OSD
with hardware blending or simply by software when using the OpenGL output.
There was some discussion about this on the Xine mailing list a while ago,
if I recall correctly. Xine also supports XvMC and has better deinterlacing
(not with XvMC though), so I'd recommend it over softdevice in situations
like yours. Softdevice is best for TV-out on Matrox Gxxx cards and lightweight
systems without X.

Niko