Re: softdevice & nvidia overlay issues (Stefan Lucke)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 04:24:43 -0700 (MST)
"CR" <oauk32v02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Stefan,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> > > I'm using VDR 1.4.0-2, softdevice cvs 2006-5-30, nVidia 6200TC video card,
> > > nVidia binary driver 8762, Xorg 6.8.1, TV-out (NTSC) @ 800x600x24bpp, GCC
> > > 4.1.1 .
> >
> > Newer nvidia cards do not support Overlay mode:
> > http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/softdevice-devel/2006q1/001770.html
>
> Wow, I'm blown away by this.  I had no idea nVidia would do something this
> dumb.

What's so dumb about that? The video blitter does about the same thing and more
through the same old XVideo extension. Actually the blitter has much better
scaling quality and is a lot faster than the overlay on my old Riva TNT 2. It
also seems that the open source driver uses the blitter as the default XVideo
adapter, and doesn't even offer overlay, at least on my card. AFAIK the only
advantage the overlay has are brightness, contrast and hue controls, but
I'd rather use the controls on my display anyway.

Video textures through OpenGL seem to be the way to go since that allows
hardware alpha blending for OSD among other effects.

Regards,

Niko Mikkil?