vdr 1.4.1: Confused after /video full

syphyr@xxxxxxxxx(Stone)  24.06.06 13:45

>> Didn't you get any "Not enough disk space to start recording!"

Never saw that message. (But i'm running a rather old VDRi 1.3.25,
sorry, will upgrade ASAP!)

>> messages?

>> VDR shouldn't even start a recording if there is less than
>> 300MB of free disk space.

>What if a recording is started when there is 301MB of free space.

I would vote VDR stop any recordings at 0% free disks.
It's not worth the trouble and performance degration IMHO.
(The current VDR may be 120GB, meaning at least 60h of recordings...
what do the last 15min minutes matter?)

>Will VDR stop recording before it completely fills the disk?
>This might prevent the system from booting if the disk becomes completely
>filled and there are no separate partitions for /video.

This should only be posible if vdr running as "root"
(that's not required nor recommended anymore IIRC)
Only root can fillup up any byte of disk, making it
fill over 100%...
The trick is: for root some MB auf diskspace are reserved to
avoid such race conditions.

If VDR is running as "root" (as in old installations) it should
stop any recordings at those 300MB (1%?) to avoid any lockups.

Using a second partion does not really help in this 100%
cases, because the deletion attempt may fail and too the
write access will become slow...

Google and me found the following hints:

 tune2fs - adjust tunable filesystem parameters on ext2/ext3 filesystems

    Number of blocks reserved for root.  Ext2 reserves some blocks
    for root so that if the filesystem fills up, it is still
    possible to do system administration without having to delete
    anything.  The reserved amount is by default 5 percent, which
    on most disks isn't enough to be wasteful.  However, for
    floppies there is no point in reserving any blocks.

 -m reserved-blocks-percentage
               Set the percentage of reserved filesystem blocks.

 -m minfree
    This value specifies the percentage of space held back from nor-
    mal users; the minimum free space threshold.
    The default value used is 10%.
    This value can be set to zero, however up to a
    factor of three in throughput will be lost over the
    performance obtained at a 10% threshold.
    Note that if the value is raised above the current usage level,
    users will be unable to allocate files until enough files
    have been deleted to get under the higher threshold.

The command ist named "tune2fs" not "tunefs2" as goggle said...