False "video data stream broken"

Situation: an incomplete recording of a programme on BBC Three. The recording
was started just before the changeover between CBBC and BBC3, and I use a
recording margin of three minutes; the recording was started at 18:57.

I should mention that these two channels share the same VPID and APIDs, and
here is a short interval in which nothing is being broadcast on those PIDs. I
also have the channel update set for names only (altering this setting is not
an option).

This usually does not cause a problem. This time, however...

The "video data stream broken" timeout was reached, resulting in an emergency
exit. Of course, vdr can't be restarted immediately, and runvdr (mine)
decided to sleep for five minutes because of too many restart attempts in too
short a time... whoops, there go the first few minutes of the programme which
I wanted to record...

Maybe I should put in a short delay in runvdr.c to make this less likely. Or
I could increase MAXBROKENTIMEOUT. Or perhaps VDR should be fixed so as not
to assume that no data == broken stream if it can receive *any* other data
from the same multiplex, or maybe channels could be individually protected
against updates...?

| + Use more efficient products. Use less.          BE MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT.

A blue box with a light on top.