TV-out, softdevice

On Wed, 31 May 2006 09:47:56 +0300
Marko M?kel? <marko.makela@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 03:31:31AM +0300, Niko Mikkila wrote:
> > If you want good interlaced TV-out with much less problems and
> > tinkering, I'd recommend getting a full-featured DVB card or
> > a Dxr3/Hollywood+ card (that'll cost less than EUR 15 on eBay).
>
> I'd say that -P"softdevice -vo:mgatv" (on a G450) is less hassle than
> -Pdxr3.  Because my dxr3 broke only after a couple of months of usage and
> I've been using softdevice for almost 1.5 years now, I may be biased.
> Softdevice has gotten a lot more stable during that time.
>
> 	Marko

Yeah, Dxr3 installation has its own twists and turns. It's a good thing
the driver and the plugin are under active development and they are
actually quite stable (for me). FF cards are easy.

Matrox Gxxx Scart-RGB is probably the best TV-output available for
interlaced software-decoded video. For example one could encode MPEG-2
broadcasts to H.264 for storage and simply decode to the framebuffer
when watching instead of re-encoding to MPEG-1/2, which is required
with FF cards and Dxr3. Now I'm just waiting for well-integrated
interlaced encoding support for x264 :)

--Niko