TV-out, softdevice

On Tue, 30 May 2006 09:18:30 +0200
"Johan Linder" <tmp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!
> I've been trying for a while now to get the TV-out working smoothly. It
> feels like the TV-out is "computerized", like it's only 20fps or
> something. I've been searching the net for answers but haven't found any
> helping tips. Is it possible to get a smooth TV-out, or should I accept some
> studdering?

The TV-output of most video cards passes the video through only at
25/30 fps because filters are used to reduce the flickering of normal
desktop image. The flickering is caused by interlacing, and the filters
will break any interlaced image. Therefore it is not possible to
display 50i/60i video unless you manage to turn all the filtering off
and sync the fields correctly. AFAIK that is only possible with
dualhead Matrox G400, G450 and G550 cards and possibly with a
do-it-yourself VGA to Scart-RGB adapter
(like http://www.sput.nl/hardware/tv-x.html). VDR-softdevice should work
with the Matrox cards through DirectFB, but it will require some
experimentation. The Scart adapter is even more unlikely to work with
interlaced video; at least I couldn't get the fields synchronized
properly with a Matrox G200 card even though 25p video worked very
nicely.

If you want good interlaced TV-out with much less problems and
tinkering, I'd recommend getting a full-featured DVB card or
a Dxr3/Hollywood+ card (that'll cost less than EUR 15 on eBay).

--Niko