Livna repository vdr restart problem

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 17:14 +0300, Heikki Manninen wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 16:33 +0300, Kartsa wrote:
> > I am having a problem with restarting vdr. I've installed FC5 and then
> > vdr from livna repository. The problem is that if watchdog kicks in vdr
> > is not restarted. Am I forgetting something? Same thing happens if I
> > choose restart using remote. I have VDR_OPTIONS=(--watchdog=20 --lirc)
> > in /etc/sysconfig/vdr. Shouldn't runvdr take care of the restarting?
>
> Same here. But seems like the version of runvdr in these pkgs doesn't
> restart vdr.

That's true, and as I don't personally have any use for watchdog (or vdr
restart from the ui) functionality, it'd be better if someone who does
and can actually test it would implement it.  If someone does, just
submit it to bugzilla.livna.org and I'll see about including it in
future package revisions.

Untested guesswork: I suppose the runvdr that ships in the vdr tarball
could be used with minor modifications, eg. so that it won't pass any
options to vdr but relies on the packaged runvdr's functionality for
setting them, and invokes the packaged runvdr instead of vdr.  Then, one
could add that to /etc/inittab to suitable runlevels and set it to
respawn, and just not use the init script.

(Naming the packaged vdr runner script as runvdr was a mistake as it is
not the same as the one in the tarball and thus causes some confusion,
I'll probably look into renaming it in future package revisions.)